Sengani student allegedly expelled for attending guardian’s funeral
A Form One student at Sengani Secondary School in Kangundo, Machakos County has been expelled from school after attending her guardian’s funeral.
The 15-year-old girl claimed that she was told to go back home despite having been issued with a leave-out form that allowed her to go for the family function.
Speaking to Citizen Digital, the student narrated how she learnt that her uncle had died in a road accident and sought permission to leave school for the burial.
When not in school, she said she lived with deceased who was also the one paying her school fees since her father was away.
Her father Evans Ombori said that he went to the school on February 12, 2019 and was allowed to leave with his daughter for the funeral that was slated for February 15, 2019.
He showed Citizen Digital the permission slip he was given, adding that there was no specified return date with the teacher only indicating that it was ‘to be communicated’.
After the funeral, Omboro said that the students had already left for the half-term break and were to return on February 26, 2019.
The father made his way to the school with his daughter only for the principal to refuse to accept her back.
They were forced to go home but returned on Monday, March 4, 2019 but they were turned away yet again.
Ombori said he was told that the Principal is consulting with the Board of Management on the next course of action.
According to him however, the principal faulted the girl for leaving the school premises as students are only allowed to attend burials of nuclear family members.
Efforts to reach the Principal identified as S. W Wambua, bore no fruit as Citizen Digital was referred to the County Director of Education Shamsa Mohammed.
Calls to the director also went unanswered.
The parents are up in arms as they said they have cleared her school fees for the term.
They are now appealing to the Ministry of Education to intervene and help the student return to class.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Ruto dismisses starvation deaths as fake news