Sonko now wants DCI Kinoti, DPP Haji to probe ‘rogue’ EACC officials


Sonko now wants DCI Kinoti, DPP Haji to probe 'rogue' EACC officials
Nairobi County Governor Mike Sonko during an interview at Radio Citizen on November 18, 2019. PHOTO | COURTESY

In Summary

  • Governor Sonko called on DCI George Kinoti and DPP Noordin Haji to commence probe into the officials citing the alleged grabbing of a piece of land in South C.
  • According to the embattled county boss, the land in question was allocated for construction of an ECDE centre but was irregularly allocated to a businessman with the consent of EACC.

Nairobi County Governor Mike Sonko now wants Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) officials whom he termed as rogue investigated for alleged land grabbing.

Governor Sonko, speaking on Monday, called on Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) George Kinoti and Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji to commence probe into the officials citing the alleged grabbing of a piece of land in South C.

According to the embattled county boss, the land in question was allocated for construction of an ECDE centre but was irregularly allocated to a businessman with the consent of EACC.

“I have launched an official complaint with the DCI with all the relevant information and l expect that the DPP will take the matter seriously when it gets to him,” Sonko said during an interview on Radio Citizen.

The governor also alleged that a mall is presently being constructed on the said land, adding that he will however demolish it.

Sonko further urged EACC to focus on “pursuing real graft issues” instead of engaging in “political sideshows and witch-hunt.”

“They should accuse me of plundering public resources or diverting money to my personal account and not dwelling on things that happened 22 years ago,” he stated.

Governor Sonko denied claims that he has sacked over 300 employees since taking over as recently alleged by Matopeni MCA, and his political friend-turned-foe, Abdi Guyo.

“I have never sacked anyone. What l have done is suspend my officers to allow for investigations and once someone is cleared they resume their work,” he said.

Sonko’s remarks come only days after EACC summoned his cabinet members to record statements over the Dandora Stadium.

However, the Nairobi County boss dismissed claims over pricing in the stadium case noting that the county government has so far only paid Ksh.96 million for work done.

He added that the 12,000-seater stadium will cost Ksh.265 million upon completion and will soon be launched.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: 5 people dead, 32 rescued, 27 unaccounted for in Tassia building collapse

Avatar
Story By Ian Omondi
More by this author