Student denied place at Starehe Boys, school claims parent was rude


Student denied place at Starehe Boys, school claims parent was rude

In Summary

  • Although the student was also admitted through the government’s NEMIS system. the school insists he will not be allowed to study at the institution with the administration accusing his father of behaving inappropriately and failing to meet admission procedures.
  • According to the school’s head of operations John Okeno, the institution established 6 decades ago follows its own strict procedure in admissions.

Two parents from Isiolo County are on the verge of desperation as their son who scored an impressive 417 marks in last year’s national examinations is on the brink of missing his dream of joining Starehe Boys Center, the school of his choice.

Although they have the placement letter from the Ministry of Education, a receipt of Ksh.70,000 for fee payment made to the school’s account and a tag used to gain entrance to Starehe, efforts to secure admission for their son remain futile.

For 10 days, David Babu, his wife Christine Ngare and their son have been forced to sleep in a hotel room in Nairobi, having travelled from their home in Isiolo.

Their main worry is why Starehe is unwilling to accept their son who was selected through the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) .

“We were chased out like we were conmen, I am embarrassed and so disappointed,” said Mr. Babu.

Although the student was also admitted through the government’s NEMIS system, the school insists he will not be allowed to study at the institution with the administration accusing his father of behaving inappropriately and failing to meet admission procedures.

According to the school’s head of operations John Okeno, the institution established six decades ago follows its own strict procedure in admissions.

“I am not going to tell you the outcome … our only consideration is the child,” he said.

Speaking to Citizen TV on Thursday evening, Acting Centre Director Josphat Mwaura said the child had not been selected to join the school, but was merely one of 24 students that had been recommended for consideration by the ministry.

He said the school admitted 23 and left out Babu’s child after the parents failed to fill requisite forms.

He said all students joining the school must fill out the forms by July of the previous year.

Mwaura insisted that the child’s parents are not needy, but since the student has not been selected to join any other school, questions abound as to why the ministry would simply give a non-binding recommendation to join a particular school.

Nairobi Regional Coordinator in charge of education John Olootual says the ministry has taken up the matter.

“It could have been a miscommunication between the parents and the school,” said Olootual.

The family remain tense albeit hopeful that their son will secure his admission and proceed to achieve his dream of becoming an engineer.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: CAS Rachel Shebesh and athlete Asbel Kiprop share their mental health journeys

Citizen Reporter
Story By Citizen Reporter
More by this author