Student dies after consuming methanol

Student dies after consuming methanol

A student has died and four others are receiving treatment after drinking a chemical substance believed to be methanol.

Reports indicate the five form four students obtained the substance from their school lab and drank it outside AIC Seiyot Secondary School, Turbo, Uasin Gishu County.

The student, Oliver Kipkorir, died within 24 hours of consumption.

Methanol is an extremely poisonous substance.

It is a non-drinking type of alcohol used for industrial and automotive purposes. As little as 2 tablespoons can be deadly to a child and less than 250 mililitres can kill an adult.

Those who survive often go blind despite medical care.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | THE MEKATILILI LEGACY | Mekatilili Wa Menza contributed to Kenya\'s independence struggle

Maureen Murimi
Story By Maureen Murimi
More by this author