Students sent home as fire burns Namwale High School dormitory

Students sent home as fire burns Namwale High School dormitory
File image of a burnt dormitory. PHOTO| COURTESY

Form One and Form Two Students at Namwale Boys High School in Bungoma County were Tuesday sent home after a fire set a blaze one of their dormitories on Monday night.

The fire, whose cause could not be immediately established, began at around 8pm, burning down property of unknown value belonging to at least 140 students.

No one was injured as the students were in class attending preps when the fire broke out.

Efforts by the students, teachers and local residents to put out the fire did not succeed, with the county fire brigade arriving after the fire had completely destroyed everything.

Over 140 students affected were forced to spend the night in the classrooms and library.

County leaders led by Education CEC Betty Mayeku, her Health counterpart Keya Sabwami and area MCA Nangulo visited the institution and promised to support in the reconstruction exercise.

Ms. Mayeku noted that this was the seventh fire incident to be witnessed in the county this year, urging education stakeholders to seat down and find an amicable solution to curb the school fires.

The Form One and Form Two students are expected to report back to school on Monday next week and join the rest of the students who remained in school.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam

Story By Namisi Cheptai
More by this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *