Swazuri, 10 other suspects to spend Easter holiday in custody
Former National Lands Commission (NLC) chairman Muhammad Swazuri will spend Easter in custody pending a bail ruling set for Tuesday next week.
Swazuri was arraigned with 10 others before Magistrate Lawrence Mugambi on Friday and pleaded not guilty.
Some of them include:
- Emma Njogu (NLC Commisioner)
- Tom Aziz Chavangi (NLC Chief Executive Officer)
- Salome Ludenyi Munubi (NLC Director Valuation and Taxation)
- Francis Karimi Mugo (NLC Director Finance)
- Catherine Wanjiru Chege (T/A.C W. Chege and Company Advocates)
- Samuel Rugongo Muturi (Businessman)
- Sostenah Ogero Taracha (Businessman)
They were charged with abuse office, conspiracy to commit economic crimes, money laundering among other counts.
13 other suspects are yet to appear at the Milimani Law Courts.
The court directed that they present themselves to the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission on Tuesday next week.
- Jane Wanjiku Gachigi – spouse to Joash Oiondo (NLC)
- Kevin Oindo Mogambi – son to Joash Oindo ( NLC)
- Michael Onyango Oloo – spouse to Lillian Keverenge (NLC)
- Godfrey Rubia Muritu – Businessman
- Nazir Ahmed Matahkhan – Director Tornado Carriers Limited
- Shakil Ahmed Khan – Director Tornado Carriers Limited
- Evahmary Wachera Gathondu – Businesswoman
- Francis Kiburu – Businessman
- Martha Wairimu – Businesswoman
- John Kamau Mwangi – Businessman
- Phillip Kileiya – Businessman
- Albert Kipkongei Lessonet – Director Lorgis Logistics Limited
- Mercy Wahu Wahome – Director and bank signatory of Lorgis Logistics Limited
- Lorgis logistics limited – Company
- Lillian Savai Keverenge – Secretary (NLC)
- Betha Wangithi Muthike – Businesswoman
It is alleged that there was illegal compensation of land that the NLC acquired for the construction of a road in Mombasa.
An audit report indicated that the Kenyan taxpayer lost around Ksh.4billion in the scam.
Evidence showed that fake compensation claims, double payments, over payments, inflation of land values and payment of people whose land was never on the corridor were used to loot taxpayer’s money.
Following the arrests, crucial data which was key to the investigations is said to have disappeared after a break-in at the NLC offices in Nairobi.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property