Tassia building collapse: Death toll hits five
Rescue operations at the six storey housing structure that collapsed on Friday in Tassia estate are still underway.
So far, five people have been confirmed dead after a 15-year-old girl having succumbed to her injuries while undergoing treatment at the Bristol hospital.
Out of the 18 people who were pulled out alive and taken to Mama Lucy Hospital, 16 have been discharged while two are still undergoing treatment. One more is also admitted at Bristol hospital.
According to the Kenya Red Cross, 26 people have been reported missing.
The rescue operation is being conducted by a multi-sectoral team comprising of the Kenya Red Cross, Military, Police, St John Ambulance and County responders who are using excavators and drills to reach those that have been trapped under the rubble.
Nairobi regional commissioner Kang’ethe Thuku said that the military have taken charge of the operation as they are believed to have more expertise on the operation.
”We had come with equipment but we found some cannot be used, some of the excavators can cause damage or injure more, that is why KDF have taken charge because they know which equipment works better, ” Thuku said.
The National Disaster Management Unit and the Kenya Red Cross have since set up a command post and tent to coordinate rescue and offer support.
The collapsed housing structure is said to have had 57 rentals, though not all had been occupied at the time of the incident.
The owner of the building, known as Kanyoni and the caretaker are nowhere to be found.
Experts are also at the scene, conducting investigations to establish why the building said to have been standing for ten years collapsed.
Preliminary reports however reveal that the structure was built on a swampy area.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: \'President’s decision caught me by no surprise, I feel relieved,\' Kiunjuri says after being fired