KDF widow narrates painful ordeal
In the morning of January 27th 2017, Kenyans woke up to devastating news.
Just like the El-Adde attack early last year, the militant group Al-Shabaab had staged a similar attack on a KDF camp at Kulbiyow, Somalia claiming lives of Kenyan soldiers.
Modesta Viremo Kibisu, 30, is dejected after she lost her husband, Moses Kibisu, who has been with the military for seven years in the attack.
Speaking to Citizen Digital, Modesta said she last spoke to her husband on phone on the evening of Thursday 26th, but became worried when she could not reach him after hearing about the attack in the morning but to no avail.
After a week of trying to determine the fate of her husband, Modesta’s fears were confirmed on Tuesday after identifying the body the fallen soldier at the Defence Forces Memorial Hospital in Nairobi.
“The body of my husband was partially burnt but I was able to identify it through his teeth and legs,” Modesta explained.
Though she has struggled to come to terms with the death of her husband, it is their 7-year-old daughter’s questions about her father’s whereabouts that hurt her most. She is yet to break the news to her.
“I have accepted what happened, I will not see him again,” she says sorrowfully.
At the tender age of 7, the couple’s daughter still needs a lot to bring her up and put her through school. Modesta is now pleading with the government to ease the compensation process so that the family will not struggle to access the funds.
According to the family, the government is currently helping with funeral arrangements first before focusing on the compensation process.
The body of Moses Kibisu will be ferried to Lanet Barracks, Nakuru, before being taken to their home at Soy for the funeral that will take place on Saturday February 11.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property