Thika fire razes down 64 houses
Sixty four houses were on Tuesday night (August 22) brought down by flames in Umoja Estate, Thika Sub County, Kiambu County. The incident has left more than 300 residents homeless.
Fire broke out in one of the houses after a lamp exploded. The occupants were preparing dinner at the time. The fire would spread to other neighbouring housing units. Property of unknown value was destroyed following the incident.
Attempts by neighbours to put out the fire were futile, leaving them with no choice but to seek firefighters’ services.
The firefighting vehicle had no sufficient water, making it harder to salvage the situation.
By the time it was refilled with water, the fire had already reduced the 64 structures to ashes.
Thika MP-elect, Engineer Patrick Wainaina, donated bedding to the victims, while the Kenya Red Cross provided food and temporary shelter to the more than 64 families.
Thika resident, John Mwangi, has urged the Kiambu County Government to purchase enough fire-fighting equipment so as to deal with emergencies such as the Tuesday night fire.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: High amounts of Mercury, Copper found in contraband sugar