Three children die in Bungoma fire

Three children die in Bungoma fire
Fire. Photo/FILE

A family in Banantega village, Bungoma County was left in shock and grief after three siblings died in a fire that broke out in their house on Wednesday night.

The children aged between two and five years had been locked in the house while the whereabouts of their parents was unknown.

According to the neighbours, a huge inferno erupted in the deceased’s house at around 9pm with efforts to rescue the children bearing no fruit as the door had been locked from outside with a padlock.

It is not clear whether or not the incident was an accident, as the children’s parents are said to have engaged in a fight before the tragedy.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a kerosene lamp that was found in the house after the fire was put out.

Victor Chebwonyo Chebwek, the grandfather of the deceased, said the children’s mother was found sleeping in a lodging on Thursday morning but she said she was not aware of what had happened to the children.

“We found the woman sleeping at a lodging in Kipsigon in Room number 2 and when she came out of the room, we walked with her to the police station,” said the grandfather.

“I asked her why she left the children alone to sleep in a lodging yet she knows her husband, who is my son, is a drunkard. She could not explain.”

The children’s parents have since been taken into police custody.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property

Story By Namisi Cheptai
More by this author