Three children killed in Nakuru house fire


Three children killed in Nakuru house fire
File image of a building on fire. PHOTO | COURTESY

Three children and their nanny were killed in an accidental house fire in Pakawa, Nakuru, on Saturday night, which was thought to have been started by a candle.

The incident was confirmed by Nakuru County Deputy Police Commander Phanton Analo, who said police officers were alerted to the incident but found the four had died.

It has since been revealed that the home, which was rented out to a police officer named Mary Wandia three days ago, did not have power.

Neighbors speculated that the family was lighting their home with a candle.

“The nanny had tried unsuccessfully to purchase electricity tokens earlier, and we believe they were using a candle, which could have started the fire,” a neighbor, Johh Mwangi, told Citizen Digital.

According to the police report, Ms Wandia was at work at the time of the incident.

The fire started about 9 p.m. on Saturday, according to Teresia Nyokabi, a resident of Pakawa in Nakuru, where the accident occurred.

Neighbors who broke down the door said they were alerted by smoke billowing from the building, but they had no idea there were people inside.

“We started seeing smoke but couldn’t figure out where it was coming from; by the time we realized the house was on fire, it was too late,” Mwangi said. “At the time, we didn’t know there were people in the house.”

It wasn’t until the fire trucks arrived—an hour later—that they found four bodies inside the house.

The fire was eventually extinguished thanks to the combined efforts of the Nakuru County Fire Department and the police.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Guns galore

Citizen Reporter
Story By Citizen Reporter
More by this author