Turkey shuts down media after coup attempt


Turkey shuts down media after coup attempt

The Turkish government continues to take action against soldiers and institutions after this month’s failed coup attempt.

Amid a state of emergency, 45 newspapers, 16 television stations and three news agencies have been closed, state-run news agency Anadolu said Wednesday.
Anadolu said nearly 1,700 soldiers — including 87 generals — have been fired.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan last week said actions were being taken to remove the “threat” raised during the attempt.
Officials have fired or suspended tens of thousands as the government intensifies its vast purge.
Turkey’s top broadcasting authority last week revoked the licenses for two dozen radio and television companies that it said are linked to Fethullah Gulen, whom Erdogan blames for masterminding the coup, Anadolu reported.
Turkey has formally requested the extradition of Gulen from the United States, where he lives in self-imposed exile.
He has denied involvement in the plot.
In total, Turkey has closed about 130 media and publishing outlets, Anadolu said.
Reporters Without Borders has lamented what it calls “growing persecution” of critical media.
In a recent statement, Johann Bihr, head of the group’s desk in Eastern Europe and Central Asia said: “No one disputes the Turkish government’s legitimate right to defend constitutional order after this abortive coup but democracy, for which hundreds of civilians gave their lives, cannot be protected by trampling on fundamental freedoms.”

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By CNN
More by this author