Turkish Prime Minister says Islamic State likely culprits in attack
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Wednesday (June 29) that Islamic State militants were likely behind the deadly attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport that killed 41 people and injured more than 239 others.
“Our thoughts on who is responsible for this terrorist act is becoming clear. It points to Daesh (Islamic State). Probably in one or two days the investigation will conclude, including the identity of the suicide bombers. All information will be shared by public,” he told reporters in a joint news conference with Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama.
He further warned that current security measures were insufficient.
“This shows us it isn’t enough to do x-ray controls in airports, we need to be prepared for another gun attack from outside, maybe we should take additional precautions,” he said.
Turkish authorities say the attacks were carried out by three men, believed to be from Islamic State, who began by opening fire, then blew themselves up.
It was the deadliest in a series of suicide bombings so far this year in Turkey, a participant in the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State.
The government declared a national day of mourning on Wednesday (June 29) and lowered flags at public and private institutions across the country to half-mast.
Ataturk is Turkey’s largest airport and a major transport hub for travellers from around the world.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Some MPs plan to shoot down Uhuru\'s proposal on VAT