Uhuru: I ordered arrest of Kilifi DG Gideon Saburi, he deserves 10 years in jail
President Uhuru Kenyatta has now revealed that he personally directed that Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi be arrested for spreading the coronavirus in the country.
The President said he hopes that the court will hand Saburi a jail term of up to 10 years for him to serve as an example that no one has a right to risk other people’s lives.
“…the Kilifi Deputy Governor, who is expected to lead by example, flew all the way from Germany traveled to Kilifi through Nairobi and Mombasa while infecting people with the disease just because he is a leader.
“And that is why when he recovered from the virus I ordered he be put behind bars so that it serves as a lesson that no matter your status in society, you have no right to move around infecting people with a disease just because you are a leader,” said Kenyatta.
The Head of State added: “He (Saburi) will remain in custody and I’m praying that the court hands him a jail term of up to 10 years because of the number of people he has infected in this country.”
Kenyatta was speaking in an interview with journalists three journalists from vernacular radio stations; Jeff Kuria (Innoro FM), Gatonye Mbugua (Kameme FM) and Karanja wa Kamau (Coro FM).
He called on Kenyans to strictly adhere to protocols set out by the Ministry of health so as to stem the spread of coronavirus in the country.
The President said measures so far taken by the Government are aimed at ensuring citizens continue with their lives in the wake of the fast spreading infectious disease.
“You are the doctor of your life. Please adhere to the protocols set out by the Ministry of Health to protect yourself and your loved ones. Prevention is better than cure,” the President said
Saburi was on Monday arraigned before Mombasa Chief Magistrate Edna Nyaloti who directed that he be held at the Bandari Police Station until Thursday when a ruling on his bail term will be delivered.
The prosecution had sought to detain Saburi for 14 more days at the Manyani Maximum Prison pending completion of investigations.
The deputy governor, through his lawyer, rubbished the claim that he was directed to go into self-quarantine after returning to the country saying there is no evidence hence it should not be used in court.
Saburi further added that there is also no evidence of anger by Kilifi residents towards him saying the 14 days police are seeking to detain him he will be in self-quarantine as directed upon his discharge hence he will not interfere with investigations.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | TALES OF LAMU | Island grappling with an acute shortage of fresh water