UN confirms death of two UN Experts in Congo


Police patroling in Congo. Photo/Profile
Policemen drive past burning debris during protests in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2016. Human Rights Watch says security forces have killed three people in Congo's capital and arrested scores more amid protests against President Joseph Kabila's hold on power. (AP Photo/John Bompengo)

The United Nations officials in the Congolese capital city Kinshasa confirmed on Wednesday (March 29) the bodies found by the villagers in Democratic Republic of Congo are the remains of two U.N. investigators and their Congolese interpreter who went missing this month.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in his declaration the United Nations would cooperate with Congolese authorities and would lead a full investigation into the incident.

Michael Sharp, a U.S. citizen, and Zaida Catalan, a Swedish national, had been in a group of experts monitoring a sanctions regime imposed on Congo by the U.N. Security Council when they disappeared in Kasai Central province, which is the epicentre of the Kamwena Nsapu insurgency that has now spread to five provinces in the loosely governed Central African country.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Reuters
More by this author