University of Nairobi apologises over memo blaming student raped by 3 men


UoN
File Photo of University of Nairobi.

University Of Nairobi Vice Chancellor, Prof. Kiama Stephen Gitahi has issued an apology following public outcry over a memo that heaped blame on a rape victim.

Kiama said the controversial memo sent out to students had been authored by the acting director of security and safety services and acknowledged that it was in bad taste.

“I have noted that the memo was insensitive and did not represent the corporate values and the image of the University of Nairobi, and is highly regretted,” the memo read.

In a memo dated February 24, 2020 and in a matter referenced as: cases of robbery and rape involving female students, the university claimed the rape victims had shown ‘ a clear case of recklessness’.

According to the memo, the female student had gone on a night out ‘entertained herself at various joints’ before walking back to the university ‘drunk’ and ‘alone’.

The memo further indicated that the student was waylaid by three assailants who robbed her before sexually assaulting her in turns.

A raft of guidelines was listed and students told to stay safe at the university.

The memo advised, among other things, that students should avoid social functions without any agenda.

The memo attracted the ire of Kenyans on social media with scores castigating the institution for blaming a victim of rape.

See some reactions from Twitter below:

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Tonny Ndungu
More by this author