‘We are not out of danger’: Coronavirus cases in Kenya rise to 225


'We are not out of danger': Coronavirus cases in Kenya rise to 225
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe in a press briefing on Wednesday, April 1, 2020. PHOTO| CITIZEN DIGITAL

The number of coronavirus cases in Kenya has risen to 225 after nine more patients tested positive for COVID-19 following the testing of 803 samples over the last 24 hours.

Health CS Mutahi Kagwe, in a press briefing on Wednesday, said the country is not out of danger yet, noting that all the nine patients are Kenyans who had no history of travel outside the country but were identified through contact tracing.

“We are not out of danger. We are aware that there are those looking at our figures and celebrating a bit too early. A comparative review of the countries now being overrun by the virus shows that they were reporting similar figures as we are now.

“Our 4.6% death rate is within the global range of 6.3%. Our figures should therefore not delude or deceive any of us in to dropping the ball,” said Kagwe.

He noted that five of the nine new patients are from Nairobi and four from Mombasa, and are aged between nine and 69 years.

The CS further noted that 12 more people had recovered from the disease, bringing to 53 the total number of patients who have so far been discharged after testing negative for the coronavirus.

One more patient has also succumbed to COVID-19 in the country, raising the total number of deaths to 10.

A total of 2,336 contacts have been monitored, out of which 1,911 have been discharged with 455 being followed at the moment.

The Health CS emphasized on the need for Kenyans to wear face masks to prevent them from contracting the disease, further putting boda boda operators on notice for flouting the COVID-19 safety measures.

“There are some sectors that have not taken seriously what we are saying. I want to appeal to boda boda operators to adhere to the measures we have said. It is in their enlightened self interest to do so. Let us all stand up for our country,” said CS Kagwe.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Benjamin Muriuki
More by this author