Wetangula’s presidential bid launch is inconsequential- Mudavadi


New-look Cabinet fails on gender, regional balance, says Musalia Mudavadi
New-look Cabinet fails on gender, regional balance, says Musalia Mudavadi

Hours after Ford Kenya party leader Moses Wetangula tossed his hat in the ring for the presidential seat in the 2017 General Election, Amani National Congress leader Musalia Mudavadi dismissed his candidature terming it unrealistic.

Speaking in Wetangula’s backyard, the one-time Vice President took said the Bungoma Senator’s bid was inconsequential, stating that after the Saturday Masinde Muliro Gardens launch, Wetangula would have to battle it out with his other Coalitions for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) counterparts for the top seat ticket.

Juxtaposing his own presidential bid against Wetangula’s, Mudavadi said that the Ford Kenya leader had more obstacles in his path because of the upcoming battle with Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) leader and his Wiper counterpart, Kalonzo Musyoka.

Addressing ANC delegates in Kitale, Mudavadi argued that he is Western Kenya’s best bet at the presidency, especially because of his political track record.

“I contested the president in 2013 and I was third. I have been tried and tested and I have all what it takes to govern the country and I appeal to our people to support me,” he said.

One of the core arguments fronted during this campaign period is the presidential potential that the Luhya community has, especially if they unite.

Mudavadi pointed out that this slogan was being used dishonestly by some members of the community, adding that he is not opposed to unity provided there is consultation, honesty and openness.

He assured delegates that his party set for the ballot box battle, adding that ANC would uphold the constitution if the clinch the top set in the upcoming national polls.

“We have put strategies to win the 2017 polls and let me assure Kenyans that my government  will uphold the constitution and a respectable and appreciated one,” he said.

Mudavadi was accompanied by MPs John Bunyasi and Alfred Agoi and several MCAs from Vihiga and Kakamega counties.

Chaos at Masinde Muliro Gardens

Photo/ SAM OGINA
Photo/ SAM OGINA

Two people were seriously injured in fracas that occurred during the launch of Wetangula’s presidential bid in Masinde Muiro Gardens, Kakamega County.

Supporters of Kakamega County Governor, who is allied to ODM, reportedly stormed the function, attacking Wetangula’s supporters.

Fighting broke out between the two factions, and anti-riot police were deployed to restore calm.

More violence would break out later in the day, forcing police to lob tear gas canisters into the crowd.

Tension had been high in the Western Kenya hub ahead of the Ford Kenya party leader’s function, with Kakamega County Governor Wycliffe Oparanya saying that he did not welcome the launch in his county as it is an “ODM zone”.

Despite confirming his attendance beforehand, ODM leader Raila Odinga was conspicuously missing from the function.

Oparanya also skipped the presidential bid launch.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Different journeys, same destiny: The story of top two candidates | KCSE 2020 |

Joy Chelagat
Story By Joy Chelagat
More by this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *