Boro hold City, Sunderland and Burnley win

Marten de Roon struck a very late equaliser at Man City in stoppage time. Sergio ...
Marten de Roon struck a very late equaliser at Man City in stoppage time. Sergio Aguero had scored his 150th goal for the club but Middlesbrough hit back to claim a 1-1 draw. PHOTO/ESPN

Marten de Roon scored a last-minute equaliser for Middlesbrough as they secured a 1-1 Premier League draw with Manchester City.

Middlesbrough had done well to frustrate City in the first half at the Etihad Stadium, with Victor Valdes pulling off saves to deny Aguero and David Silva.

However, Sergio Aguero swept home just before the break for City, netting his 150th goal in his 223nd appearance for the club from close range after being spotted in the area by Kevin De Bruyne.

Claudio Bravo was forced into action in the second half, denying former City man Alvaro Negredo and Adam Forshaw, with Pep Guardiola’s men seemingly set to go three points clear at the top of the table.

However, De Roon arrived in the box to head a powerful header past Bravo to claim a point for the visitors.

Sunderland secured their first Premier League win of the season as they beat Bournemouth 2-1 at the Vitality Stadium.

Bournemouth took the lead in the 10th minute as Dan Gosling forced the ball over the line with his torso after Adam Smith’s delivery had picked him out.

But Sunderland drew level on 33 minutes, with Victor Anichebe turning his marker inside the box before smashing home into the roof of the net to score his first goal for the club and his first in the Premier League since May 2015.

David Moyes’ side received a setback when Steven Pienaar was shown a red card for a challenge on Junior Stanislas in the second half, but Jermain Defoe was on hand to convert a 74th-minute penalty after Anichebe had been brought down by Smith in the area.

Bojan Krkic scored an equaliser for Stoke City as they drew 1-1 with West Ham at the London Stadium.

The Hammers had a chance to open the scoring in the 27th minute only to be denied by Lee Grant, who did brilliantly to turn Angelo Ogbonna’s header away following a corner.

West Ham did break the deadlock in the 65th minute, though, with Michail Antonio heading home Dimitri Payet’s cross at the near post for his sixth league goal of the season.

But Stoke drew level 10 minutes later, with Bojan volleying into the back of the net after Jonathan Walters had teed him up following some poor goalkeeping from Adrian.

Ashley Barnes struck at the death for Burnley as they defeated Crystal Palace 3-2 at Turf Moor.

The hosts raced into the lead inside just two minutes when Sam Vokes converted from a few yards out after Martin Kelly had cleared Matthew Lowton’s strike off the line and Johann Berg Gudmundsson soon made it two, firing past Steve Mandanda after his side had broken away on the counterattack.

Palace pulled one back in the 60th minute, with Connor Wickham driving Wilfried Zaha’s cross into the top corner with his first touch since coming on a substitute, and Christian Benteke then bagged the equaliser nine minutes from time, scoring from the penalty spot after a Burnley handball in the box.

With the match seemingly set for a draw, Barnes had the final say, latching onto a Gudmundsson cross before finding the back of the net to give all three points to Burnley.

-Report by

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: Guns galore

Story By Agencies
More by this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *