Coronavirus: Gov’t halts foreign sports assignments


Buoyant Harambee Stars arrived in Kisumu aboard a mid-morning flight from Nairobi ready for the ...
Buoyant Harambee Stars arrived in Kisumu aboard a mid-morning flight from Nairobi ready for the expected mouthwatering clash.PHOTO/FKF

In Summary

  • Ministry of Sports on Tuesday suspended all the foreign sporting assignments for a month as the novel coronavirus pandemic continue to stretch far and wide.
  • In a letter to the sports federations, the ministry said this was as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the deadly virus, and the suspension will be until next month.

Ministry of Sports on Tuesday suspended all the foreign sporting assignments for a month as the novel coronavirus pandemic continue to stretch far and wide.

In a letter to the sports federations, the ministry said this was as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the deadly virus, and that the suspension will be until next month.

This comes barely a week after the Ministry of Health postponed all conferences and meetings of an international nature in Kenya for the next 30 days.

“The Ministry wishes to inform you that there will be no more travel for international events until further notice and notably for the next one month,” read part of the letter written by the Sports Principal Secretary Joe Okudo.

The move will be a significant blow to the country’s sporting calendar with various teams set to be affected.

Harambee Stars’ trip away to Comoros on March 31 for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualification tie is among affected events by the communique from the ministry.

Also, the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has written to the Confederation of African Football (Caf) requesting a postponement of the home match pitting the two teams on March 25, on the same grounds.

The men’s national beach volleyball team will also not take part in this week’s second round of the Olympic Games qualifiers in Banjul, Gambia following the directive.

The Gambia’s neighbours, Nigeria, became the first sub-Saharan country to record coronavirus case in February 25.

Kenya were scheduled to face hosts and Africa Games champions Gambia, Botswana, Mauritius and South Sudan.

Last week, the women’s team dream to grace this year’s Olympic Games in Japan went up in smoke after the team failed to get clearance for the qualifiers which were held in Nigeria.

In the same vein, national women’s volleyball team head coach Paul Bitok who doubles up as the KCB technical director has urged CAVB to postpone the upcoming Africa Club Championships set to be held in Egypt.

Bitok says Kenyan clubs have invested a lot to prepare for the annual championships and it will be unfair if it goes on.

“We can’t do anything because it is a global pandemic and the best thing CAVB can do is just to postpone the two events because if it goes on Kenyan teams who have been restricted to travel will be affected,” said Bitok.

The women’s fiesta is scheduled for April 2 to 11 in Cairo while the men’s show will run a week later in the same city.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Stanley Mativo
More by this author