Evergreen Wanja, Moim toast to more awards as league season ends
Veteran setter Janet Wanja, Malkia Strikers skipper Mercy Moim and blocker Edith Wisa are amongst the notable names who bagged individual accolades on Sunday, in the just concluded Kenya Volleyball Federation playoffs at the Makande Gymnasium in Mombasa as the volleyball league came to an end.
Pipeline’s Wanja and Prison’s Moim and Wisa won the best receiver, best setter and best blocker awards respectively in the women’s category as Prisons and Pipeline players dominated the awards.
The playoffs saw Kenya Pipeline retain the title thus winning it four years in a row as they dispatched Prisons, Kenya Commercial Bank and Western Bombers by a similar score of three straight sets. In the men’s category, General Service Unit dethroned Kenya Prisons to reclaim the trophy after relinquishing it in 2016.
Wanja heaped praise on her Kenya Pipeline teammates and her coach Japheth Munala who doubles up as Malkia Strikers head coach.
“I thank God for this award. I dedicate it to my teammates and I am proud of my coach too. We did our best and fought hard to retain the title. It was not easy to win as Prisons have tall players and good blockers and the competition itself was intense but our quality service and attack gave us an upper hand. We have now set our eyes on winning the African Club Championship next year as it is the only trophy we have not won” Wanja told Citizen Digital.
Wanja,Moim and Wisa are familiar with winning these awards. At the Zone five African Nations Championship qualifiers in Nairobi, Wanja and Moim bagged the best setter award and best attacker awards respectively.
At the African Nations Championship in Yaounde Cameroon, Moim and Wisa bagged the best attacker and best blocker awards respectively.
FULL INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
1. Best server – Sarah Osanyo (Bombers)
2. Best Receiver – Mercy Moim (Prisons)
3. Best Setter – Janet Wanja (Pipeline)
4. Best Attacker – Trizah Atuka (Pipeline)
5. Best blocker – Dithy Wisah (Prison)
6. Best Libero – Agripina Kundu (Pipeline)
7. Most Valuable player – Violet Makuto
1. Kenya Pipeline
2. Kenya Prison
3. Kenya Commercial Bank
4. Western Bombers
1. Best server – Kelvin Maiyo (Prisons)
2. Best Receiver – Jairus Better (Prisons)
3. Best Setter – Brian Melly (GSU)
4. Best Attacker – Moses Omondi (Coop)
5. Best blocker – Rodgers Kipkirui(Prisons)
6. Best Libero – Sam Juma (KPA)
7. Most Valuable player – Cornelius Kiplagat (GSU)
1. General Service Unit
2. Kenya Prisons
3. Kenya Ports Authority
4. Cooperative Bank
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later