FKF CEO Muthomi steps aside to allow probe into Avire transfer saga
- Faced with fierce criticism, Football Kenya Federation CEO Robert Muthomi on Sunday stepped aside to allow investigations into the purported transfer of Sofapaka ace John Avire.
- In a statement released by the federation's communications team and signed by non other than the CEO himself, Muthomi said that he had taken the decision as it is "the best course of action both for public confidence on myself and the institution that is FKF".
Faced with fierce criticism, Football Kenya Federation CEO Robert Muthomi on Sunday stepped aside to allow investigations into the purported transfer of Sofapaka ace John Avire.
In a statement released by the federation’s communications team and signed by non other than the CEO himself, Muthomi said that he had taken the decision as it is “the best course of action both for public confidence on myself and the institution that is FKF”.
“In view of the on-going debate and conversations in regards to the allegations made by SofaPaka FC on my purported involvement in the transfer of player John Avire, I have this morning requested the FKF President to allow me step aside for investigations to commence.
“While I have outmost faith in the independence and competence of the FKF judicial process as earlier stated, I realize that for my own integrity and that of the office of the FKF General Secretary, as well as the greater football public a thoroughly credible process has to be undertaken.
I am also convinced that this is the best course of action both for public confidence on myself and the institution that is FKF.
I am cognizant of the fact that my continued execution of the role of General Secretary while this process is ongoing may be seen as an attempt to circumvent or influence the investigation process.
Nonetheless, I would like to reiterate that I have not resigned my position as General Secretary and CEO of FKF, and that I believe at the end of the investigation I shall be vindicated and cleared of these malicious accusations.
Due to the sensitive nature of this allegations I trust that the FKF President will move quickly to expedite the investigation process with a view of ensuring justice and fairness for all.
In the meantime, I will take this opportunity to spend more time with my family in what has been a very busy year, this even as I look forward to resuming my duties in the near future.
I will not be making further comments on this matter until the judicial process has concluded,”the tight one-paged statement said.
Muthomi has been in the eye of a storm since a letter he authored carrying the official FKF stamp and dated July 12, addressed to the Egyptian embassy in Nairobi, asking that Avire be granted visa to allow him travel to Cairo to watch the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) as a fan surfaced online last week.
Muthomi has been accused by Sofapaka FC of an extra-ordinary attempt to persuade Avire to terminate his contract with the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) club in order to pursue a move to Egypt as a free agent.
It sparked suspicion the FKF boss was using his influence at the country’s top football office to choreograph a transfer for Avire who had only notified Sofapaka that he was terminating his contract over a three-month unpaid salary arrears
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | NEWSNIGHT | Punguza Mizigo, BBI or No Referendum?