Football writers crown Gor’s talisman Kagere as league’s best
Gor Mahia’s Ugandan born Rwandan forward Meddie Kagere bagged the 2017 SJAK Most Valuable Player award after piping his challengers to claim the top gong at an award gala held on Monday night at the Louis Leakey Auditorium, National Museum in Nairobi.
Kagere beat his team mate, midfielder George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo and Kariobangi Sharks lethal hit man Masoud Juma to win the prestigious award. Kagere had a fine season notching 14 goals and assists to boot to help cart the league title in Gor’s favour.
‘Blackberry’ who starred alongside Kagere as K’Ogalo swaggered to a record 16th league title was also a toast of the night after being crowned the Midfielder of the Year, while Juma, who had an impeccable breakthrough season in the top flight claimed the Golden Boot award.
Kariobangi Sharks goalie, John Oyemba, who was instrumental between the sticks for the Sharks was voted the Goalkeeper of the Year, while Gor’s captain Musa Mohamed bagged the Defender of the Year award for a second successive year.
Sofapaka coach Sam Ssimbwa who had a fairytale run with the Batoto Ba Mungu was picked by the football writers as the Coach of the Year.
This was the first independent gala awards the sports journalists’ body was holding since it began its monthly awards to outstanding footballers three years ago.
Winners in each category were awarded with a DSTV compact decoder and a 49- inch LG TV set.
Essie Akida – Harambee Starlets
Golden Boot Award
- Masoud Juma – Kariobangi Sharks
- Meddie Kagere – Gor
- Jacques Tuyisenge – Gor
- Kepha Aswani – Nakumatt FC
- Stephen Waruru – Ulinzi Stars
Midfielder of the Year
- George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo
- Lawrence Juma – Nzoia Sugar FC
- Michael Madoya – Nzoia Sugar
Defender of the year
- Musa Mohammed – Gor Mahia
- Jockins Atudo – Posta Rangers
- Godfrey Walusimbi – Gor Mahia
- John Oyemba – Kariobangi Sharks
- David Juma – Kakamega Homeboyz
- Patrick Matasi – Posta Rangers
- Nicholas Kipkirui – Zoo FC
- Vinvent Oburu – AFC Leopards
- Brian Otieno
Coach of the Year Award
- 1. Sam Ssimbwa – Sofapaka FC (Winner)
- William Muluya – Kariobangi Sharks
- Mike Mururi- Kakamega Homeboyz
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: CAS Rachel Shebesh and athlete Asbel Kiprop share their mental health journeys