Gor tame Simba to retain Super Cup title

Gor Mahia FC sealed back to back Super Cup titles after defeating Tanzanian giants Simba SC 2-0 in Sunday’s final at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru.

Meddie Kagere and Jacques Tuyisenge scored in either halves as Gor punched their ticket to Goodison Park where they will play Everton FC in an exhibition match for the second year running.

Gor were awarded KSh3 million in prize money as Simba bagged KSh1m with Singida United who won the third-place play-off against Kakamega Homeboyz earlier at the same venue pocketed KSh750,000.

Kagere, who finished as the tournament top scorer with four goals, gave the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions a dream start when fired them to a fourth minute lead before his Rwandan compatriot Tuyisenge got the insurance goal in the 56th.

Dylan Kerr’s side had joy breaking into Simba’s backline with fierce attacks. Francis Kahata missed a glorious chance to add to the tally when he latched onto a pass from Godfrey Walusimbi into Simba’s box only to fluff it wide off Manula’s post.

The Tanzanian side strained through the half producing little chances as they look to slow down the Kenyan side. Rashid Juma came close on the 27th minute with a stern shot which did little to trouble Shaban Odhoji who comfortably held on to the ball.

Also Read:

  1. Simba in trouble over Leopards friendly
  2. Fatigue could blur Gor’s glamour – Kerr
  3. You didn’t show me enough love, Meddie tells Gor

Centre referee had to calm down tensions deep in the half, cautioning Erasto Nyoni when he roughed Tuyisenge onto the ground.

A dismayed Gor captain Harun Shakava approached the referee in dissent and received an unnecessary booking.

Second half proceedings were the same as K’Ogalo had no intentions of defending a one goal lead. Humphrey Mieno delivered in a pinpoint pass from the right to connect with Tuyisenge’s run for the second goal.

Simba’s response came in form of multiple substitutions with Mohamed Hussein, Marcel Kaheza and Moses Kitandu coming in to reinforce Masoud Juma’s side.

However, that did little to slow Gor’s momentum whose onslaught continued as chances went begging for Kerr’s men.

In the 62nd minute, Tuyisenge took an ambitious shot from an acute angle that came off the cross bar. Minutes later, the Rwandese was on the attack again together with Kagere but both missed a sitter as Kahata’s pass went off the goal mouth.

A dejected Simba side put in frail attempts on Odhoji’s goal but none could earn them a consolation.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: Kenyan youth trained to counteract terrorism on the loose