IAAF says Nairobi attack won’t deter WU20 preps


(FILE)Ita Nao Leshan throws a javelin at the World Under- 18 Championship starts at the ...
(FILE)Ita Nao Leshan throws a javelin at the World Under- 18 Championship starts at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani in Kenya’s capital Nairobi, July 13, 2017. Photo by Tabitha Otwori/www.sportpicha.

In Summary

  • The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has said the terror attack that occurred in a Nairobi hotel in Tuesday will not deter Kenya from hosting the 2020 World Under-20 championships set to be held in Nairobi
  • The 14-member delegation led by federation’s Executive Director of Communication, Jackie Brock-Doyle arrived in the country in batches on Monday and Tuesday for an inspection tour of Kenya’s preparation towards the biennial competition

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has said the terror attack that occurred in a Nairobi hotel in Tuesday will not deter Kenya from hosting the 2020 World Under-20 championships set to be held in Nairobi.

The 14-member delegation led by federation’s Executive Director of Communication, Jackie Brock-Doyle arrived in the country in batches on Monday and Tuesday for an inspection tour of Kenya’s preparation towards the biennial competition.

In their two- day tour, the delegation held a series of meetings with government officials as well as with the Athletics Kenya (AK) officials while also making visits to facilities including the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani where the event is slated to be held in July 7-12.

The terror attack that occurred coincided with the IAAF officials visit in the country and according to Brock-Doyle terrorism is a global disaster which will not bow down sporting activities.

“This (terrorism) happens in cities all over the world. I think this is something that the whole world especially world of sports must face. But it is the swift response of the security apparatus that stood out as well,” Brock-Doyle said in a press conference after winding up their visit.

Her sentiments were echoed by AK president Lt. Gen (Rtd) Jackson Tuwei who assured that the country is safe despite the attack.

“I must say that this was an isolated case and despite the impact that has caused in our country Kenya remains a safe nation,” said Tuwei.

After visiting various facilities to be used in the championships, Brock-Doyle said they are so far impressed with what they saw but has urged Kenya to host even a more successful event than the 2018 event hosted in Tampere, Finland and the 2017 World Under-18 championships held in Nairobi.

“The facilities are good, it’s a great start thus far but we need to double our efforts. We are confident the championship will be a success based on our experience in 2017. Similarly, we have a great partnership and we think this is going to be a successful event,” noted Brocke-Doyle.

The high- level delegation also included IAAF’s Head of Event Operations Toni Jorba, Chief Information Officer An Dang Duy along with Technical Delegates Gemma Castano and Imre Matrahaz.

Others are;  Frederick Sanchez, the IAAF Platforms and Distribution Operations Manager, Mark Fulton, who is the Executive Producer for IAAF Productions and Luis Saladie, the IAAF’s Head of Competitions.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property

Avatar
Story By Gilbert Kiprotich
More by this author