IOC reaches out to Nock on elections, again

IOC reaches out to Nock on elections, again
IOC flag. Photo, Courtesy.

A subsequent letter from the International Olympic Committee sent to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) offered the slightest indication that the embattled national body is headed for troubled waters.

In their latest communication, the IOC asked Nock Secretary General Francis Paul Kinyili to refer the earlier letter sent on August 17 that outlined expectations ahead of the Elective General Assembly that was halted on May 5.

“Please refer strictly to the IOC’s self-explanatory letter dated 17 August 2017 (attached) – which, we hope, has been duly considered by your NOC and circulated to all members as required – and please act accordingly without any further delay/unnecessary complications,” Jérôme Poivey the Head of Institutional Relations and Governance at the IOC wrote.

The initial letter – which was sent a day before Nock Executive Committee members met at their headquarters in Nairobi – had directed that a date for the next elections date be set since a court injunction barring it had been lifted.

However, Nock has defied the orders and instead called for a Special General Meeting for September 5th at their headquarters along Mombasa road, where the agenda is fresh nominations, ratification of voting members and appointment of a new Independent Electoral Board.

In their letter, IOC gave Nock until end of September to resume the Elective General Assembly without further delay or unnecessary complications.

“This Elective General Assembly is simply the continuation of the meeting initially scheduled on 5 May 2017 and shall resume and conclude in the same conditions as when it was adjourned, with the same Electoral Board being responsible for conducting and monitoring the election process.”

“Consequently, you should now only agree with the members of your NOC on the date on which the Elective General Assembly will resume and inform the members accordingly as well as the Electoral Board for it to resume its duties,” IOC said in their letter.

In the Special General Meeting called for September 5th, invited federations are expected to discuss some pending cases at the High Court and others at the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) involving Kenya Taekwondo Federation, Center for Multiparty Democracy and others.

“As reiterated in our previous communications to you, any pending cases/disputes in relation to these elections that cannot be resolved by the Electoral Board should be referred to the Elective General Assembly for final decision before proceeding with the elections, in strict accordance with your NOC Constitution and as clearly mentioned by the Electoral Board in its letter dated 4 May 2017,” IOC instructed Nock though they have decided to take matters in their own hands.

On August 3rd, High Court Judge Chacha Mwita gave a green light to the Elective General Assembly to continue with the meeting.

“Now that the legal obstacle that was preventing the NOC elections from taking place has been lifted by the High Court of Kenya, your cooperation and appropriate actions are expected for this process to resume and conclude smoothly, in good faith,” the IOC said in subtle warning.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: MPs want KNH surgery mix-up victims compensated

Story By Charity Wanja
More by this author