Migne disappointed after Senegal defeat


Migne disappointed after Senegal defeat
Kenya's French head coach Sebastien Migne looks on before their friendly football match Kenya vs Equatorial Guinea in Machakos, Kenya, on May 28, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / Simon MAINA

In Summary

  • The Monday AFCON action between Kenya and Senegal has brought much into discussion and analysis across the footballing world. Stars lost a direct chance of making it to the knockout stages of the competition for the very first time in their history after falling 3-0 to Senegal in a thrilling match played at 30 June stadium in Egypt.
  • Despite stating that his team had nothing to lose in his pre-match interview, coach Sebastian Migne said he was a disappointed man after the final group C match that left Kenya third with a deficit of four goals.
  • Kenya still basks in the hope of making to the last 16 despite the heavy defeat and will be watching closely to assess the outcome of group E and F games set to play today.

The Monday AFCON action between Kenya and Senegal has brought much into discussion and analysis across the footballing world. Stars lost a direct chance of making it to the knockout stages of the competition for the very first time in their history after falling 3-0 to Senegal in a thrilling match played at 30 June stadium in Egypt.

The Kenyan squad was hoping to get a win or a draw against the Senegalese who were downed 1-0 by Algeria in their group C second match.

Despite stating that his team had nothing to lose in his pre-match interview, coach Sebastian Migne said he was a disappointed man after the final group C match that left Kenya third with a deficit of four goals.

“We are not so far as well as not so close, I am disappointed for my boys because close to one hour we created some problems for Senegalese teams,’’ said Migne during an after-match interview.

On Harambee stars qualification to the next round, coach Migne, like other football fans will be waiting for the outcome of the final group stage matches. A total of 12 teams topping their groups as well as those in second place have a guaranteed place in the knockout stages. The 12 will be topped up by four more teams that will be considered the tournament best losers.

“Now we need to wait for results from the next games and we expect it goes well,” said Migne.

Stars displayed an entertaining piece of game in the first half including heroic and splendid saves from Kenya number one shot stopper Patrick Matasi who plays for St. Georges side in Ethiopia.  Matasi denied Senegal a chance to take the lead in the first half after collecting a spot-kick from Liverpool forward Sadio Mane.

“Looking at the first penalty, I knew I was going to save it basing on the position Mane was standing before taking the penalty,”

“Even the second one, I knew the direction he was going to place the ball only that this time I was a bit late to make the save,” said Matasi on the second penalty which Mane converted in to give Senegal a second goal.

Before the final minute, Matasi was on it again making crucial saves to deny Senegal a chance to score more goals. The former Posta Rangers man commented on the style of the game they played stating that their defensive tactic was wanting and they need to work on that and make an improvement.

“Mostly as a team defending from behind is difficult, once you defend making steps forward it becomes too difficult for the opponent and that’s what happened with us,” said the shot-stopper.

Kenya still basks in the hope of making to the last 16 despite the heavy defeat and will be watching closely to assess the outcome of group E and F games set to play today.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Nairobi County proposes higher taxes for city residents

Avatar
Story By Evans Makokha
More by this author