Musonye: Kenyan federation sabotaged Cecafa programmes


CECAFA Secretary General Nicholas Musonye and Co-ordinator Herbert Mwachiro during a press conference on Kenya ...
CECAFA Secretary General Nicholas Musonye and Co-ordinator Herbert Mwachiro during a press conference on Kenya hosting the 2017 Senior Challenge Cup at the Goal project in Kasarani on November 16, 2017. Photo/Kelly Ayodi/www.sportpicha.com

In Summary

  • Former Cecafa boss Nicholas Musonye has sensationally claimed that the Kenya FA never supported initiatives rolled out by the regional football body, including sabotaging plans to have the country host the regional football competitions.
  • Musonye who has announced his intention to vie for FKF's top seat in the awaited elections, says over the last 18 years, FKF leaders blocked chances aimed at helping Kenya's football.

Former Cecafa boss Nicholas Musonye has sensationally claimed that the Kenya FA never supported initiatives rolled out by the regional football body, including sabotaging plans to have the country host the regional football competitions.

Musonye who has announced his intention to vie for FKF’s top seat in the awaited elections, says over the last 18 years, FKF leaders blocked opportunities aimed at helping the growth of Kenyan football.

In an Interview with Radio Citizen, the former Cecafa boss who served at the helm of the regional football body for for 21 years before quitting last December,  said: “Since my day one in office as a secretary general, FKF has not helped me in anyway, all they know is to degrade our competitions. They never wanted me to succeed as a Cecafa boss, failing to realise that I’m also a Kenyan.”

“We could have hosted many competitions but all my efforts were gunned down by the Federation, and this started in 2002,” he noted.

The Sports Disputes Tribunal[SDT] has twice nullified the federation’s elections since December last year with the much awaited elections now expected to be conducted after the Covid-19 pandemic.

Musonye said that if elected, he will restore hope for the Kenyan football.

The former sports journalist says his plan to plunge into the elections was informed by pleas by stakeholders, including former Harambee Stars players. He believes he’s the right man to give the country’s sports new direction.

“Yes, I was approached so that I vie and I thought it’s not prudent to let down my fellow Kenyans who want to see changes.”

Musonye is banking on his two-decade experience at the helm of Cecafa to steer the Kenyan game.

Asked on how he intends to win over the corporate, he retorted: ” If you want to win a friend, you have to be honest with them and let them have that confidence in you. No investor will agree to work with an unfaithful man and it’s because of that, I believe, I will bring them on the table. You have to instill confidence in them.”

The battle for the top seat has so far attracted  former FKF Chairman Sam Nyamweya, former FKF Vice chairman Twaha Mbarak, former AFC Leopards boss Alex Ole Magello, former Vihiga County boss  Moses Akaranga and Gor’s Secretary General Omondi Aduda.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Robbie Chome
More by this author