Mwendwa downplays Migne press conference walkout


Mwendwa downplays Migne press conference walkout
FKF President Nick Mwendwa addresses the media on AFCON qualifiers, FKF financial situation, recent hooliganism and bidding for 2018 AWCON. Photo/Stafford Ondego/Sportpicha.

In Summary

  • Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa has defended his office over the organisation of the African Nations Cup qualifying match between Harambee Stars and Ghana's Black Stars
  • Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne refused to field questions from the press after suggesting he had received little support in terms of ensuring his side was adequately prepared to face Ghana

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa has defended his office over the organisation of the African Nations Cup qualifying match between Harambee Stars and Ghana’s Black Stars.

Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne refused to field questions from the press after suggesting he had received little support in terms of ensuring his side was adequately prepared to face Ghana.

In a short outburst that nonetheless darkened Kenya’s 1-0 win over Ghana, the Frenchman questioned why the Kasarani Stadium had been made inaccessible for his side to train on yet Cameroon was granted such access.

Migne also took issue with the decisions by George Odhiambo, Boniface Oluoch and captain Victor Wanyama to snub call-ups to the national team before reiterating the win was nowhere close to being a true a reflection of Kenya’s quality against their opponents.

“If you think because tonight we have beaten Ghana we are on the same level, it is not true. It is not the reality. We are far from the high level…so far away.

“I have full confidence with Victor Wanyama but I need to check. If we want to achieve at the high level we need to improve a lot of things and I don’t want to speak about Boniface Oluoch or Allan Wanga; I think it was a lack of respect,” Migne said.

Migne rounded off his assessment of the whole situation by saying he had ‘to think about the future’ and although Mwendwa steered clear of that matter, he insisted his federation had done an improved job in terms of planning.

The FKF boss said there would be no direct punishments levelled against those who rejected call-ups but vowed to handle the matter ‘internally’.

“Some players refused to come for Cecafa after we invited them but we won the Cup. Some stayed away again (against Ghana) but we won. We don’t want to punish anybody but in future we only want players who also want to be with us,” Mwendwa said.

Harambee Stars return to action on Tuesday when they host Malawi in an international friendly in Kasarani.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later

Story By Jeremiah Lechipai
More by this author