Posta reach FKF Cup quarters after Gor no-show


Posta Rangers FC players walk to the changing room at halftime during their Kenyan Premier ...
Posta Rangers FC players walk to the changing room at halftime during their Kenyan Premier League match at Ruaraka grounds in Nairobi on May 29, 2019.Photo/Kelly Ayodi/Sportpicha

In Summary

  • Posta Rangers FC have reached the quarter-finals of the FKF Shield Cup through a walkover after their round of 16 opponents, Gor Mahia FC, failed to show up at Afraha Stadium on Saturday
  • The Mailmen were set to play the 10-time cup champions at 03:30hrs but the latter did not travel having requested the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) to push the game

Posta Rangers FC have reached the quarter-finals of the FKF Shield Cup through a walkover after their round of 16 opponents, Gor Mahia FC, failed to show up at Afraha Stadium on Saturday.

The Mailmen were set to play the 10-time cup champions at 03:30hrs but the latter did not travel having requested the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) to push the game.

However, by the time we published this story, FKF had not responded to their request.

Poster passed through all the pre-match procedures and eventually entered the field led by referee Yasin Badir who awarded the match in their favour.

The vice-chairman of Posta Rangers FC, Mr Gichuki Njeru said they went for the game respecting the FKF’s directive as far as the precautionary measures on the coronavirus pandemic is concerned.

“As a club we have accepted the referees decision. We respected the football federation directive and came to Nakuru. We planned to play against Gor Mahia. If the walkover is officially given to us we expect to go to the next round.” said Gichuki.

Gor Mahia FC joined KCB in pulling out of the FKF Cup due to concerns about the fast-spreading flu-like virus.

“Following the Government statement on coronavirus released, we disbanded out team, released the players and cancelled our traveling arrangements to Nakuru,” said the Ceo of Gor Mahia, Ludovick Aduda.

“Our traveling to Nakuru will entail checking into a hotel and mingling with unknown persons against the safety precautions, which is against the directive by the government and Confederation of African Football.”

“In these circumstances, that’s why we requested the FKF to re-schedule our match against Posta Rangers slated for Saturday.” added Aduda.

Earlier today the last of 16 tie pitting Wazito and KCB that was set to be staged at Afraha Stadium today on Saturday 14th was canceled.

Wazito were set to host KCB at Afraha but after Kenya confirmed the first case of Coronavirus the match wasn’t played as planned.

Both clubs confirmed that they will not be participating in the tournament until further notice with KCB deciding to head back to Nairobi.

“In view of the confirmation of the first COVID-10 case in Kenya, the Ministry of Health has subsequently announced a series of cautionary measures to limit the spread of the epidemic, among them limiting public gatherings.”

“In compliance with the directive, KCB Football Club has made a decision to cancel its participation in the FKF Shield Cup fixture against Wazito FC which was scheduled for Saturday in Nakuru. The club had earlier requested Football Kenya to consider rescheduling the game,” a statement from KCB read.

The match was scheduled to start from 1 PM EAT.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Mkalla Wa Mwambodze
More by this author