Prosecution alleges Soi is ‘faking’ illness to avoid court

Under-fire Team Kenya Chef-de-Mission, Stephen arap Soi (right) with sprinter Alex Sampao, Caleb Mwangangi, Betsy ...
Under-fire Team Kenya Chef-de-Mission, Stephen arap Soi (right) with sprinter Alex Sampao, Caleb Mwangangi, Betsy Saina and Nicholas Kemboi when he visited their training camp to present Nike kit in Eldoret. PHOTO/Charity Wanja

The State prosecution leading the case against National Olympics Committee- Kenya (Nock) Chief-de-mission, Stephen arap Soi, have questioned the legitimacy of his alleged illness claiming he is only out to buy time and see whether charges related to the Rio 2016 fiasco will fizzle out.

Soi failed to show up in court for a second time on Wednesday afternoon with the prosecution led by Senior Prosecution Counsel, Duncan Ondimu, saying attempts to obtain documents indicating that he is still admitted at the Nairobi Hospital were futile.

The court directed the records to be brought before it on Thursday afternoon before considering whether a warrant of arrest as requested by the State will be issued against the official thought to be the main architect of the shameful scandals that blighted Kenya’s best ever performance at the Olympics.

Senior Principal Magistrate Charity Oluoch will rule on the matter at Nairobi’s Milimani Law Courts.

“The idea that whenever people are summoned in court the next thing you hear is they’ve fallen sick and admitted in hospital is becoming worn out,” Ondimu argued during hearing.

He added that there was no documentation to show that he was in hospital and that the last record presented to court on Monday showed he had been admitted.

“The best thing we can do for now is to demand for medical report for verification that he is indeed ailing and has been admitted. We’ll be expecting these medical reports from an advocate tomorrow,” Ondimu told Citizen Digital.

“Once the report comes from Nairobi Hospital, we will send officers to verify whether the report has been documented by them. If we’re not satisfied by the report we’ll ask the court to grant us the permission to go verify for ourselves,” he added.

Soi was arrested last Friday soon after landing from Brazil and placed in custody at Nairobi’s Muthaiga Police Station alongside his deputy head of mission, James Chacha and Nock secretary general, Francis Kinyili Paul.

He was however, released on a Ksh 50,000 police bond on Sunday when he allegedly fell ill and rushed to hospital immediately after.

The State is investigating charges related to abuse of office in mistreating Team Kenya athletes for the Rio 2016 Olympics, theft of official Nike kit as well as neglect of duty.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | TALES OF LAMU | Island grappling with an acute shortage of fresh water

Story By Matthews Mutai
More by this author