Spot-on Sharks end Bandari’s Gotv Shield reign

Kariobangi Sharks FC players celebrate Ibrahim Kitawi's (R) goal against FC Talanta during their FKF ...
(FILE)Kariobangi Sharks FC players celebrate Ibrahim Kitawi's (R) goal against FC Talanta during their FKF National Super League (NSL) match at the Nyayo National stadium on September 07, 2016. PHOTO/

National Super League (NSL) side Kariobangi Sharks knocked-out GOtv Shield Cup holders Bandari FC 5-4 on post match penalties after a 1-1 draw in regulation time during their quarter final clash staged at the Nairobi’s Nyayo National Stadium on Sunday.

Former top flight top scorer and Player of the Year, striker Dan Sserunkuma failed to convert in the marathon post-match shootout, with Pascal Ogweno, Boniface Akenga, Ellie Asieche, Ibrahim Kitawi and Steven Odhiambo hitting the target for Sharks who made the last four for the fisrt time.

Anthony Kimani, Edwin Lavatsa, David King’atua and Musa Mudde netted for the Ken Odhiambo coached side but it was all in vain as the coastal based top flight side surrendered their title.

Mudde had equalized for the Dockers at the half hour mark, after Rodgers Omondi had scored the opener in the 16th for the NSL side who lie fourth in the second tier.

Sharks joined Ulinzi Stars and fellow NSL side KCB in the last four of the competition.

Defender Steven Odhiambo sunk the winning penalty for Sharks in another nail-biting conclusion to their last eight tie, echoing the finish between KPL rivals Posta Rangers and Ushuru FC who produced the same result at Nyayo 24 hours earlier.

Despite the end-to-end first half, both sides were unable to find the opening goal and headed to the break tied at 0-0.

Sharks finally found the breakthrough only a minute after the restart, as Omondi tapped past keeper, Joseph Okoth after being set up by a Matthew Odongo’s cross.

The hosts had an opportunity to double their lead after being awarded a penalty in the 58th but a dreadful hit from defender Ochieng ensured the scores remained 1-0.

The miss would later come to haunt William Muluhya’s side as Mudde Musa pulled the visitors level with a 25-yard pile driver past keeper Malcom Oigo.

Midfielder Ibrahim Kitawi was the chief architect for Sharks, dictating the proceedings with his brilliant through passes and was unlucky to see his side fail to put the tie to bed in normal time.

“We were prepared psychologically for this clash. We knew they’re a Kenyan Premier League side and they have a lot of experience in their squad so we had to focus on playing our game and not getting intimidated.

“I think we played a better game and if we can keep this up we can go a step better. For now we just want to enjoy the victory,” Kitawi told Citizen Digital.

Bandari skipper, Anthony Kimani, floated a cross for his teammates but it was too close to the goalkeeper who easily collected it. He sent another cross six minutes later that Oigo almost stuck behind his own net after mishandling the ball.

Edwin Lavatsa was brought on for Darius Msagha and almost made a difference for the Dockers after only five minutes on the pitch but shot directly at the goalkeeper after a clever run with the ball.

Kitawi also missed a one on one chance before Ugandan Musa Mudde restored parity with a 62nd minute thunderbolt.

Coach Ken Odhiambo’s second half introductions made significant impact for the visitors but neither of the sides could find the winner as the final whistle signalled the game would be decided by post-match penalties.

Substitute forward, Sserunkuma the former Gor Mahia ace then ended up being the villain as the champions crashed out.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: CAS Rachel Shebesh and athlete Asbel Kiprop share their mental health journeys

Story By Matthews Mutai
More by this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *