Tapio, Baryan, Duncan resume rally rivalry
“Flying Finn” Tapio Laukkanen, leader Ian Duncan, youngster Manvir Baryan and Carl “Flash” Tundo will resume their battle for supremacy in this year’s Kenya National Rally Championship series at the weekend’s Guru Nanak Rally.
The 38th edition of the Sikh Union Club organized rally will run on Sunday, as the seventh round of the KNRC Series will see four drivers fighting for top honours.
Despite having not won any rally this season, the legendary Duncan is currently sitting at the top of the 2017 KNRC Drivers’ Standings with 72 points after the first four rounds of the championship series which were held in Mombasa, Eldoret, the Great Rift and Kajiado.
The top four will face stiff opposition from former African and Kenyan Champion Jaspreet Chatthe, youngster Karan Patel and Baldev Singh Chager, who recently participated in the Balkan Classic in Bulgaria.
The two wheel drive has attracted Charles Hinga in the ex-Eric Bengi Championship winning Toyota RunX, former champion Leonardo Varese in a Toyota Corolla RSI, who will be aiming for a podium in his bid to clock the 100 mark on the championship log, Sam Karangatha in a Subaru 2WD and Sammy Nyorri who will be driving his traditional Toyota Run X.
The 2WD is officially a two horse race pitting Varese and Nyorri who will be hoping that the former stumbles. Varese leads the series with 88points followed by Nyorri on 32.
“We want to secure the championship early and test our new Toyota Auris in the next two rounds. The Auris is being built by Adin Haq “Paps” at his Valley Arcade workshop. Hinga is one of the drivers everyone would want to compete against due to his pace in past championships. He will definitely spice up the two wheel drive completion,” said Varese.
Hinga is making a comeback to the national series after a long sabbatical and will be navigated by Absalom Aswani.
GURU NANAK RALLY ENTRIES
- Baldev Chager/Ravi Soni (Mitsubishi EVOX)
- Mahesh Halai/Ketan Halai (Subaru Impreza)
- Geoff Mayes/ Charley Sayer-Payne (Land Rover V8)
- Carl “Flash” Tundo/Tim Jessop
- Onkar Rai/Gareth Dawe (Skoda R5)
- Stefano Roca/Piers Daykin (Datsun)
- Karan Patel/James Mwangi Harrison (Mitsubishi EVO10)
- Ammar Haq/Victor Okundi (Subaru Impreza)
- Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (Mitsubishi EVO10)
- Amaanraj Rai (Ford Fiesta-RAI RACING)
- Tapio Laukkanen/Gavin Laurence (Subaru)
- Manvir Baryan/Drew Sturrock (Skoda)
- Edward Maina/Tony Kimondo
- Ramesh Vishram/Riyaz Ismail (Ford Escort MK2)
- Farhaaz Khan/Keith Henrie (Mitsubishi)
- Osman Abdullahi/George Mwangi
- Natasha Tundo/Chantal Young (Subaru Impreza)
- Piero Cannobio/Sylvia Frigo (Mitsubishi)
- Sammy Nyorri/Mwangi Waithaka (Toyota RunX)
- David Kioni/TBAEdward Njoroge (Subaru GC8)
- Jasmeet Chana/Ravi Chana (Mitsubishi Evo10)
- Tejveer Rai/Zahir Shah (Mitsubishi EVO10)
- Eric Bengi/Tuta Mionki (Subaru Impreza)
- Dr. Raj Jutley/M. Etienne (Datsun)
- Sam Karangatha/Edward Ndukui (Subaru)
- Charles Hinga/Absalom Aswani (Toyota RunX)
- Rajesh maini/Devan Bhundia (MK1)
- Raaji Bharij/Rajay Sehmi (MK1)
- Issa Amwari/Job Njiru (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Daren Miranda/Wayne Fernandez (Subaru)
- Jansher Sandhu/Gurveer Pandhal (Mitsubishi Evo10)
KNRC STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 6
- Ian Duncan 72points
- Manvir Baryan 68
- Tapio Laukkanen 63
- Carl “Flash” Tundo 60
5.. Karan Patel 59
- Baldev Singh Chager 58
- Jassi Singh Chatthe 36
- Onkar Singh Rai 33
- Farhaaz Khan 28
10.Tejveer Rai /Quentin Mitchel 12
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Some MPs plan to shoot down Uhuru\'s proposal on VAT